I guess he is still young and wasnt taught how to play with toys from his old owner so
when i threw in a rope for him to play with or a rawhide to chew on or a squeaky plushie to fetch with he didnt know what to do.
So here are some things that I did that helped him learn.
1. I pushed his shoulder part back gently. For dogs that means "lets play"
2. Then he got very hyper and started running around the house. Then I dropped the plushie in front of him.
3. He didnt respond. He ran away. I shoved the plushie up at his mouth and started to pretend growl and he opened his mouth and started to chew at the plushie that was bugging his mouth.
4. When he actually bit in, I quickly snatched it away and threw it across the room. he ran to chase it and brang it back. (usually you have to teach your dog to fetch but my dog came and had learned it already)
5. Then I tried grabbing it out of his mouth and played tug a war.
SO try to do that if he doesnt respond, then everytime he smells it tell him good job. Everytime I did that at first he got scared but then later started playing with it.
Plus dont buy him anytoy. Trust me, Ive tried. Buy quality toys and know the type of toys your dog likes by buying varieties of toys!